Johannesburg - Residents from Orlando West and surrounding areas in Johannesburg on Thursday staged a protest march and demanded a public apology from Eskom over a 10-hour long power outage last week.
About 400 residents took part in the march from the Hector Peterson Memorial to Eskom’s Diepkloof offices where they handed over a memorandum, which amongst other demands, sough an apology from Eskom within 24 hours.
“We are gathered here because of the ill treatment of Eskom to our people…and we are not saying we do not want to pay for electricity,” said Atwell Kamani in a statement at the event. Kamani is the South African National Civil Organisation (SANCO) regional secretary.
Gauteng General Manager of Eskom, Bandile Jack, said that the memorandum, which detailed the residents’ concerns, would be reviewed as soon as possible. Jack explained that the 10-hour cut was due to loadshedding and additional technical difficulties.
Some of the other concerns unhappy residents listed in the memorandum were centred around the installation of energy-saving devices such as solar geysers in the homes of residents, public institutions and local businesses.