Duduzane Zuma has been granted bail of R100 000 with strict conditions including handing in his passport. Picture: Nokuthula Mbatha/African News Agency (ANA)
Johannesburg - The alleged attempted bribery of former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas is at the centre of the corruption case against former president Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane.

Jonas had written in an affidavit that he had been offered a bribe of R600 million and a promotion to finance minister by Ajay Gupta and in the presence of Duduzane and businessman Fana Hlongwane.

Duduzane has a close relationship with the infamous Gupta family and has been seen as instrumental in the state capture allegations involving the family.

Jonas alleges that the meeting took place on October 23, 2015, weeks before then finance minister Nhlanhla Nene was to be fired and replaced by ANC MP backbencher Des van Rooyen.

Jonas said Ajay told him that the family were looking to make more money from the state and that the National Treasury was a hindrance in accomplishing that goal.

He declined the offer and publicly admitted to the attempted bribery. The former deputy finance minister was also interviewed by former public protector Thuli Madonsela.

Ajay, Duduzane and Hlongwane denied that Ajay Gupta was present at the meeting, but also that any bribe was offered.

The DA’s David Maynier then opened a corruption case against Ajay and Duduzane in 2016.

Duduzane’s appearance at the Commercial Crimes Court on Monday was linked to that case opened by Maynier.

He was granted R100 000 bail and his next appearance will be on January 24 2019. 

The NPA’s Phindi Louw said the reason for the long postponement was because the investigation was still ongoing. It is not clear whether any of the accused, including Ajay, will be charged to appear with Duduzane.

“Investigations are still ongoing and we cannot confirm whether more charges will be added and whether others will appear with him. In 2016 David Maynier (DA) opened a case of corruption at the Rosebank Police Station. Where it was alleged that he tried to offer unauthorised gratification to official in the name of Mcebisi Jonas. The strength of the state’s case will be determined at a court of law,” said Louw.

Duduzane has been set strict bail conditions and has handed over his passport. He will have to ask for permission from the investigating officer if he wishes to travel.

Homicide charges

Later this week Duduzane is also expected to appear in court to be charged with two counts of culpable homicide.

The two-homicide cases were the result of a 2014 accident in which Duduzane's car crashed into a taxi and instantly killing Phumzile Dube. The accident took place on the M1 in Johannesburg. Another woman who was also involved in the same accident died in hospital a few weeks later. 

 The NPA had previously decided not prosecute Duduzane in 2014 even though a judge had ruled that he had a case to answer regarding the accident and the ultimate death of Dube. 

Earlier this year, the NPA announced that they would be looking into the charges against Duduzane, this was after lobby group Afriforum and former prosecutor Advocate Gerrie Nel threatened to privately prosecute Duduzane if the NPA did not take action and proceed with the homicide charges. 

IOL