Pretoria - Statistician General Pali Lehohla released the Victims of Crime Survey 2016/17 report by Statistics South Africa on Thursday.
Here are nine figures from the report you should know:
1. Approximately seven percent of households in South Africa were victims of crime in 2016/17 compared to about nine percent [of] households in 2015/16.
2. An estimated total of 1.5 million crime incidents were experienced by approximately 1.2 million households in 2016/17.
3. Housebreaking incidents decreased by eight percent.
4. Home robbery decreased by 25 percent.
5. Theft of personal property decreased by 12 percent.
6. Hijacking of motor vehicles increased by 93 percent.
7. Sexual offences increased by 110 percent. (StatsSA cautioned that hijackings and sexual offences statistics should be used cautiously as they fall under the second level of quality of acceptable statistics due to the small number of respondents that experienced the crimes in this category.)