Diary entry triggers girlfriend’s murder

Kimeera Rajbunsi

Kimeera Rajbunsi

Published Dec 8, 2014


Durban - A young man has admitted he murdered his teenage girlfriend at her Phoenix home while experiencing an “emotional explosion” after reading entries from her private diary which he had stumbled across.

Sholin Bissoon, 21, said he then struck 17-year-old Kimeera Rajbunsi with a frying pan and stabbed her multiple times before dumping her body at a pond near Mount Edgecombe.

Bissoon pleaded guilty in the Durban High Court on Friday to killing Kimeera at her home in Forestwood Gardens on the morning of March 3.

In his written guilty plea, which was submitted by his attorney, Rajen Nathalall, Bissoon admitted that he had gone to see her to talk about their relationship, which by then had already ended.

He also explained how he had known her from their school days at Woodview Secondary from 2010, and that he was so deeply in love with her he could not handle the eventual break up.

Bissoon said in his plea: “After I completed matric and while the deceased was still at school, we became lovers. From 2011 we were inseparable. From early 2013, I noticed a slight change in her and she was becoming distant. Despite this, I loved her unconditionally. I visited her almost daily, spending several hours in her company. I was treated like a member of the family,” he said.

“From October 2013 until late December our relationship was punctuated by petty fights. She behaved abnormally. I believed this was because of her depression she suffered.

“Our relationship ended in January 2014, when she told me she wanted some space. All communication between us stopped. She deleted me (on) BBM. In February she contacted me and we decided to spend time together for Shivaratri (Hindu holy day).”

He then said how, on the morning of the incident, they had a heated exchange about Kimeera communicating with another male known as Dullon.

He then described how the killing unfolded on the morning of March 3.

“I went inside the house. We hugged each other and began speaking in general. I found her private diary and read part of the contents thereof. This triggered off an emotional explosion. I cannot remember precisely what happened thereafter. I struck her with a frying pan and stabbed her several times in her chest with a sharp instrument in the kitchen,” Bissoon said.

“Everything happened in a blur. After I read that while going out with me, she had true feelings for somebody else. My conduct subsequent to what happened in the kitchen was driven by panic and fear. I loaded her body into my father’s vehicle and drove to a secluded area near Mount Edgecombe and dumped her body in a pond.

“I then fetched my mom and went to the Phoenix Plaza. On March 5, I surrendered myself to the Phoenix police station. I did a pointing out freely and voluntarily showing the police where the deceased’s body was.”

Judge Shyam Gyanda was satisfied with the contents of the plea, which was accepted by the court, and adjourned the matter to April next year for sentencing.

Kimeera’s sister, Ashmika, told the Daily News later that although the family were happy with the guilty plea, they would wait for sentencing before finding closure


Daily News

Related Topics: