Durban - King Goodwill Zwelithini will host an imbizo in Durban on Monday in an effort to quell the xenophobia sweeping the country.
Kwazulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu said on Friday that the imbizo, which is likely to take place at the Curries Fountain Stadium, would include politicians, chiefs, indunas and the public.
The king is expected to address the public directly and clarify his statement against foreigners which have been blamed for the recent violence.
Mchunu said he hoped that those who had been calling for the king to address would them attend the imbizo.
Meanwhile, the South African Human Rights Commission has received another complaint about comments reportedly made by the king about foreign nationals.
This is over and above eight new complaints relating to xenophobia.
SAHRC spokesman Isaac Mangena said on Thursday that eight of the latest complaints received on Wednesday were not necessarily related to what was reportedly said by King Zwelithini last month in Pongola.
However, he would not specify the nature of the complaints, or who had lodged them.
Mangena did confirm there was now a second complaint regarding the alleged utterances made by the king.
The latest complaint was lodged by an official of the South African National Defence Union, Tim Flack.
Flack was quoted by the media on Thursday as saying that he decided to go ahead and lay the charge against Zwelithini for allegedly inciting violence and sedition.
The king had reportedly said foreigners must return to their home countries.
Mangena said: “We are communicating with the office of the king. We are unable to say when we are to finalise the investigation. There are many things that are involved.”
The commission this week paid a visit to the king’s office as part of its investigation into the complaint lodged two weeks ago.
While Mangena would not be drawn on the outcome of their visit, he said they were receiving co-operation from Zwelithini and his office.
Royal spokesman, Prince Thulani Zulu, could not be reached for comment because his cellphone was switched off.
Judge Jerome Ngwenya, spokesman for the Royal Household Trust, said he had heard about the new complaints over the news, but that the commission had not communicated with him.
Referring to the visit to the king’s office, he said no meeting had taken place. The commission had asked for a meeting, but it was short notice and impossible to accommodate.
The commission had also communicated with the Royal Household Trust instead of the office of the king, he said.