Residents of various villages and areas in Mpumalanga have been warned about the dangers of fire in that province, the department of traditional affairs and co-operative governance said on Tuesday.
“We urge the residents not to start fires on the open veld and to control all the fires by putting them out before they leave that province,” said spokesperson Mohlalefi Lebotha.
Lebotha also warned the residents against the trend of throwing away burning cigarettes stubs in the open field. He urged them to always check the weather conditions before they started any fire. “The residents must be extremely careful when they light up heaters and other appliances used to warm themselves as these can be a hazard if they are left unattended.”
The warning by the department came in the wake of several incidents of fire in the province since the beginning of the winter season.
The department also sent a special word of caution to parents, urging them to make sure that their children were not left alone with fires and heating appliances, especially because schools were currently closed for the winter holidays.