ANC councillor who threatened to kill Mahumapelo back in court
RUSTENBURG - The trial of a Mahikeng African National Congress (ANC) councillor accused of threatening to kill former North West premier Supra Mahumapelo was postponed at the Molopo Regional Court in Mmabatho on Tuesday.
Ward councillor Ditebogo Kamogelo Molema faces charges of intimidation after he allegedly sent threatening cellphone messages to Mahumapelo who is the provincial chairperson of the ANC in North West.
The case was postponed to September 18, for a new magistrate to preside over the case, this was after the defence called for a different magistrate to hear the trial, they were not happy that Magistrate Stephen Du Toit was presiding over the case.
Du Toit presided over a case where another former Mahikeng councillor, Gaasite Legalatladi, was sentenced to five years in jail last year, on a charge of conspiracy to murder Mahumapelo. Legalatladi, is appealing the conviction and sentence, she is out on bail pending her appeal.
Mahumapelo told ANC provincial general council in October in Rustenburg that he knew of nine people who want him dead.
In December, he said according to an unnamed source, the mastermind behind the plan kill Mahumapelo was a former employee in the office of the premier and was alleged to be working with a syndicate to execute his plan.
* Receive IOL's top stories via Whatsapp by sending your name to 0745573535.
African News Agency (ANA)