Johannesburg - Confusion lingers over the current status of John Block and Christo Scholtz after the two failed to report to prison to begin serving their 15-year sentence despite having their appeal dismissed by the Supreme Court of Appeal earlier this week.
The SCA on Tuesday dismissed their appeal against a 15-year sentence for corruption and money laundering.
The former ANC Northern Cape chairperson and CEO of Trifecta Holdings Christo Scholtz were sentenced to 15 years imprisonment each after they were found guilty on charges of corruption and money laundering.
The charges relate to kickbacks that were offered to unduly influence the awarding of leases to Trifecta for government offices.
The two were then supposed to report to a correctional services facility on Thursday to start their sentence but failed to do so, resulting in reports that the two were now considered fugitives of justice.
This was denied by the Hawks Northern Cape, who said it was a "misinterpretation" that they elite crime-fighting unit was looking for them.
"He's not a fugitive... he's not wanted by the Hawks because he [and Scholtz] is appearing in court on Monday for a bail application," Hawks spokesperson Nomthandazo Mnisi said.
This after the SCA granted the duo leave to appeal to the Constitutional Court.
This was confirmed by National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Phaladi Shuping who however, added that according to their knowledge, the two were supposed to have reported to a correctional services facility following the SCA's ruling.
He was unable to clarify why the two remained free despite this, only saying that there would be a meeting on Friday to clarify this.
He added that the two had indicated their intention to apply for bail at the high court and that this application would be heard on Monday.