Youths from around the Province were not able to complete psychometric tests to enter the police service after they were forced out of an examination centre.

Kimberley - Hundreds of young people from across the Northern Cape were left worried and upset after they were forced to exit an examination hall in Kimberley before they could complete psychometric tests for entry into the police service.
The youngsters, many of them from various towns in the Province, including Ritchie, Warrenton and Pampierstad, were left with uncertainty after they were informed by invigilators that the church where they wrote the tests on Friday was only booked for a certain amount of time.

They gathered on the church premises and were visibly concerned and in doubt about the outcome of the tests.

“We were informed by SMS that we will write at the NG church near the Northern Cape Technical High School in Kimberley. We had to report at the venue by 10:30am. One group was allowed to write and left after completion. We were afforded an opportunity to write at different intervals. While we were busy writing, we were told that we had to pack up as the venue was only booked until 2pm. The invigilators then took our papers and told us to go wait outside. The church was then locked."

“Nobody told us what would happen afterwards. Everyone was worried as we knew we had not finished and there was no way we could pass the tests.”

Another young woman said that they had been waiting since early in the morning to complete the tests.

“We are from Warrenton and have been here since 9am. We do not know what is going to happen as we did not finish writing. Our tests are incomplete and that will ruin our chances of getting employed in the police service,” she said.

Many youths from Ritchie indicated that they were also concerned about transport home.

“We do not know how we will return home as we came to Kimberley by taxi. Our greatest concern is that the taxis to Ritchie finish at 5pm and it is now already after 3pm plus there is still no venue where we will continue writing. There is no indication when the venue problem will be sorted out. How will we get home if we are still waiting to write?

“Some of us have not had anything to eat as we were under the impression it will not be a lengthy process. None of us thought that this would end in such a mess.”

A parent who travelled with his child from Pampierstad said that he had taken the day off from work in order for his child to complete the tests.

“I never imagined that things would be disorganised. I travelled with my daughter and three other youngsters from Pampierstad. We have been at the venue for hours and it is evident that the organisers do not have their house in order,” he said.

“I am glad that I accompanied my child as I do not know how she would have gotten home if I was not here. The majority of the youngsters here are relying on public transport. How are they going to get home as it is already late and there is no indication on the way forward?

“As a parent, it is a great concern and heartbreaking to see our children being treated this way by people who are in authority. We expected better, especially from the police.”

One of the invigilators told the group that those staying in Kimberley might have to write on an alternative date.

The invigilators later told the youngsters with private transport to make their way to the police gym where the tests would apparently continue. Others were transported to the venue in police minibuses.

Police spokesperson, Colonel Dimakatso Mooi, did not state whether everyone had completed the tests but did say that the youngsters were afforded an opportunity to write at an alternative venue.

“There was an alternative venue and the group was afforded a chance to write their psychometric test at the provided alternative venue,” said Mooi.

Diamond Fields Advertiser