Raunchy emails and persistent demands for sex from a colleague have led to the dismissal of a top SABC journalist found guilty of sexual harassment.
SABC Pretoria bureau chief Kgomotso Sebetso, a married father of two children, was dismissed on Friday after a disciplinary hearing found him guilty of persistently making unwanted sexual advances to a junior staffer.
The hearing found that Sebetso downloaded pornographic material from a company computer which he then emailed to Matau Mothoa, a newsreader and journalist.
Although the national broadcaster remained tight-lipped on the matter, sources said the story had been doing the rounds for some time.
Mothoa, who is on sick leave after she was involved in a car accident, said her company has prohibited her from commenting on the matter.
But Paul Poulsen, secretary-general of the Broadcasting, Electronic and Allied Workers Union, said that the union became involved in the matter when Mothoa reported it to them in March this year.
"Apparently it has been going on for some time," Poulsen said, adding that it took the union several letters to get the SABC to take action.
Sebetso, who initially faced seven charges, including sleeping during office hours and coming to work under the influence of alcohol and drugs, is expected to appeal against his dismissal.