Calls for review of Parly security measures after staffer's suicide
Parliament - Parliament’s police portfolio committee have called for a review of security measures at Parliament after a gun was brought onto the precinct with which a senior staffer is believed to have used to commit suicide.
Portfolio committee chairperson Francois Beukman said national Police Commissioner Khehla Sitole will have explain “the lack of proper security measures at Parliament following the shooting incident earlier today”.
Beukman said the incident raises serious questions regarding police deployment at Parliament, the procedures in place and the general operational readiness of police officers.
He added that Parliament is a national key point and the incident highlights weak access control and security screening.
“The portfolio committee is seriously concerned that the SAPS management failed to ensure that proper security measures are in place at Parliament,” said Beukman.
He said he will write to the House Chairperson of Parliament Cedric Frolick to get permission to convene a meeting with Sitole during the parliamentary recess.
This as the ANC and DA both expressed shock after the shooting, believed to be from a self-inflicted gunshot wound earlier on Friday.
ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu said the party was shocked and saddened by the incident and that it had left the whole of Parliament, including thee ANC caucus traumatised.
“This incident also raises concerns around our security systems in Parliament, in particular, how the firearm that was used got into the precinct of parliament undetected and breached our security.
“This matter is being investigated to ensure that it does not happen again in future,” said Mthembu.
The DA’s chief whip John Steenhuisen also extended condolences to the man’s family, friends and colleagues.
For a suicide-related emergency, contact SADAG on 0800 567 567 or their 24hr Helpline 0800 12 13 14.
* Receive IOL's top stories via Whatsapp by sending your name to 0745573535.