Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith has said in light of President Cyril Ramaphosa declaring a national disaster in response to Covid-19, the city of Cape Town has decided to withdraw permits for previously approved events. Pictures: Brendan Magaar/African News Agency (ANA)
Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith has said in light of President Cyril Ramaphosa declaring a national disaster in response to Covid-19, the city of Cape Town has decided to withdraw permits for previously approved events. Pictures: Brendan Magaar/African News Agency (ANA)

Cape Town revokes permits for events in response to Covid-19

By ANA Reporter Time of article published Mar 17, 2020

Share this article:

CAPE TOWN - The Cape Town city council on Tuesday said it was withdrawing permits for public events in response to the Covid-19 outbreak.

"In light of the national disaster declaration by President Cyril Ramaphosa in response to the Covid-19 coronavirus, the city of Cape Town has taken the decision to withdraw permits for previously approved events," JP Smith, the mayoral committee member for safety and security, said.

Smith said the city's permit office would also not accept or process new permit applications until the disaster declaration has been lifted.

"We understand that this may be cause an economic inconvenience to many event organisers," he added.

"However, we take the threat of COVID-19 seriously and we have to prioritise the health and safety of participants, spectators as well as officials working in the events space."

Smith said the city has in recent days held talks with various event organisers and concluded that this was the best response to the Coronavirus pandemic, which has claimed more than 7,000 lives around the world.

Several event organisers have in the past week cancelled big gatherings, including the Cape Town Jazz Festival, the Cape Town Carnival and the Over 50s Cricket World Cup.

"A few other event organisers will make announcements in the coming days," Smith said.

African News Agency

Share this article: