Move to accommodate Cape fire displaced
Share this article:
Cape Town – Firefighters were expected to work through the night on Monday to contain a raging fire along Cape Town’s South Peninsula, the City of Cape Town said.
“As things stand, one city firefighter has been admitted to hospital after sustaining burn wounds, and 52 frail-care residents of a Noordhoek retirement village were treated for smoke inhalation,” the City’s mayoral committee member for safety and security J.P. Smith said.
“To date, five homes have been destroyed along Silvermine in Noordhoek. Some of the structures at Tintswalo lodge at the foot of Chapman’s Peak were also affected, although the extend of the damage is unclear at this stage.”
Earlier, it was reported that at least two bungalows of luxury Tintswalo luxury lodge burnt down.
“At least 30 households were evacuated in Noordhoek, as well as residents of the San Michelle Old-Age Home and the Noordhoek Manor Retirement Village. Residents of the latter have since been advised that they can return home,” said Smith.
“Three mass care centres have been set up to accommodate those who have been displaced: at the Dutch Reformed Church in Kommetjie Road, Fish Hoek; at the Dutch Reformed campsite in Noordhoek; and at the Fish Hoek Community Hall.”
The fire started on Boyes Drive in Muizenberg on Sunday night, spreading to Ou Kaapse Weg, and reaching Noordhoek in the early hours of Monday morning.
Four helicopters, two fixed-wing aircraft and one spotter plane were in the air water-bombing the fire for most of the day. Three choppers would assist firefighters until sunset.
Several volunteer fire-fighters from, among others, Table Mountain National Park, Working on Fire, Wild Land Fire Services and Wild Fire services were assisting.
“The wind has died down significantly today (Monday) and that has helped the efforts to contain the fire. The weather outlook for the next 24 hours indicates that moderate winds will persist which will hopefully further improve the chances of bringing the fire under control,” Smith said.
By late Monday afternoon, Chapman’s peak drive and Boyes Drive between the golf course and Old Boyes Drive remained closed to traffic. Ou Kaapse Weg and Constantia Nek had been reopened to traffic.