Cape Town - Police are investigating the rape of three girls between the ages of 11 and 12 years old, who were allegedly attacked inside a Mitchells Plain tuck shop.
On Friday, an angry mob of community members gathered in front of the tuck shop.
Police were called in to protect the shopkeeper and rescue a 12-year-old boy accused of luring the victims to the store.
The girls, who are all friends, claim they were raped inside the tuck shop by the shopkeeper.
It is believed the girls were groomed and enticed with R200s and snacks like sweets and chips.
However, police say they have made no arrests in the case.
The shopkeeper, who had been renting a garage for his shop, has since fled the area.
The grandmother of one of the two 12-year-old girls says she is anxiously waiting for the man to be arrested.
“These children will be scarred for life and I think they were afraid to tell us what was happening there,” says the grandmother.
The mother of the 11-year-old girl says a witness saw one of the alleged attacks and that they are baffled why the alarm wasn’t raised before: “This witness lifted the garage door and saw the rapist with his pants down and the other 12-year-old girl with her pants down.
“As a parent, I was only told about this on Monday.
“I am shocked and we are deeply traumatised because who knew and who didn’t say anything?
“My daughter and the one 12-year-old say they were lured to the shop by a person and that this person would receive the money and they would get the sweets and this person would threaten them.”
The families of the two girls say the girls have been examined by doctors who confirmed they were raped vaginally and anally.
The aunt of the other 12-year-old girl contacted the Daily Voice to say they would be making a case of harassment.
The landlord of the tuckshop, a 74-year-old woman, says she and her family are being victimised and claims her 12-year-old grandson has been moved to a place of safety.
This after accusations were made that the boy was involved.
“The community wanted to rush into our home, I am an old lady,” she says.
“We are in the dark. We do not know where the man is.
“We are just scared and worried about our grandson.”
The boy was placed in the care of police after the mob gathered in front of his home.
Police spokesperson Captain Nopaya Madyibi confirms: “This office can confirm three rape cases of three young girls between the ages of 11 and 12 years old were registered on Monday 30 October, but are still under investigation with no arrests made at this stage.”