Cape Town - A Woodstock businessman, who was kidnapped more than two months ago, has been released and is home with his family, police confirmed.
It is believed a R20 million ransom was negotiated for Sadeck Zhaun Ahmed, 71, the owner of Zhauns Business Opportunity Machines, who was snatched from outside one of his businesses in Salt River Main Road on 25 July.
A source close to the family told the Daily Voice the kidnappers initially wanted $3.3m (R44m) for Ahmed’s safe return.
“Following negotiations with Ahmed’s family, who told the kidnappers they don’t have this kind of money, this amount was reduced to R20m,” the source said on Sunday.
“The reason why it took so long to get Ahmed back is because the family could only raise R18m and were looking for the last R2m.”
The source says one of Ahmed’s sons had been in negotiations with the snatchers since the abduction.
“It’s been discovered that the kidnappers are high-flying gangsters on the Cape Flats,” the insider revealed.
Neither the police nor the family would confirm the R20m ransom figure or whether it had been paid.
Police spokesperson, FC van Wyk, said on Sunday: “This office can confirm that the mentioned person is safe and reunited with his family.”
The insider revealed Ahmed was found “at the ransom drop-off point in Claremont” on Saturday and reunited with his family.
“He is currently at a hospital in Claremont,” the source added.
On 25 July, just before 6pm, Ahmed was loading items into his white BMW with the help of an employee when four masked men in a white Ford bakkie pulled up and forced them into their vehicle.
It is believed the kidnappers tazered both Ahmed and the male employee before speeding off. The bakkie was later found abandoned in Walmer Estate.
Ahmed’s family has remained tight-lipped on the matter.
The Daily Voice tried contacting Ahmed’s son, Ashraf Ahmed, on Sunday but he didn’t answer calls.
We also spoke to his wife, Natasha, who said, “Please don’t speak to me”, before putting the phone off.