File picture
File picture

Three shot after concert clash

By Bonile Ngqiyaza and Anna Cox Time of article published Oct 6, 2014

Share this article:

Johannesburg - Three people are in hospital after being shot during an argument at a concert at Meyer’s Farm in Alberton on Sunday.

Professional boxer Jarred Selwyn Silverman-Lebotschy and a man, believed to be Bradley Swartz, spent the night in the same intensive-care ward at Netcare Union Hospital under police guard.

 

Silverman-Lebotschy fights under flamboyant trainer Nick Durandt, who was said to be overseas on Sunday.

The shootings occurred during the Deep in the Woods event – a deep-house music festival that was first held last year. The Deep in the Woods organisers neither returned calls nor answered SMSes on Sunday.

Several bystanders were injured during the shooting, which stems from an apparent long-standing family feud between the Silverman-Lebotschy and Swartz families.

SAPS spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungile Dlamini confirmed the shooting.

One of the injured bystanders, Arriella Cameron, was treated for an injury to a shoulder and released later on Sunday, according to private investigator Chad Thomas, who said details of the shooting were still sketchy.

He said the Silverman-Lebotschy family had retained him two months ago to probe two previous altercations involving the family and the Swartzes.

The first relates to an altercation at Carnival City involving Silverman-Lebotschy and Lloyd Swartz, a cage fighter. The fight then spilled over onto a carwash in the Edenvale area after Silverman-Lebotschy apparently got the better of Lloyd.

Thomas said Silverman-Lebotschy had to have surgery to his eye and sustained serious injuries to his hands and wrists after Lloyd and his father Michael allegedly jumped continuously on them.

He said witnesses had indicated that the father-and-son duo were shouting during the assault that they would ensure Silverman-Lebotschy never boxed professionally again.

The Star left several messages for Lloyd on one of two cellphone numbers, but he had not responded by late on Sunday night. The other cellphone was not in service.

Silverman-Lebotschy opened a case at the Edenvale SAPS and the Swartz family laid counter-charges for the alleged assault at Carnival City.

The case opened by the Swartz family was transferred from the Edenvale SAPS to the Brakpan SAPS, and the case opened by Silverman-Lebotschy remained at the Edenvale SAPS.

Dlamini said two men had been involved in Sunday’s argument when one drew a gun and opened fire. He wounded the other man and two bystanders.

A member of the public, believed to be a police reservist at the event, intervened, shot the suspect and removed his firearm, a 9mm pistol, before arresting him.

 

Dlamini said the motive for the argument was unknown.

[email protected]

[email protected]

The Star

Share this article: