Washington - Four top White House officials, including Vice President Mike Pence, said on Thursday they did not write an anonymous column in the New York Times that described "a quiet resistance" to President Donald Trump within his own administration.
Amid intense speculation over who wrote the piece, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, previously Trump's CIA director, said he was not the author and slammed the Times for publishing the piece.
"It's not mine," Pompeo told reporters on a trip to India, saying the Times should not have "put it in their newspaper."
The Pentagon said Defense Secretary James Mattis did not write the piece. "It was not his op-ed," Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said.
The Times published the column on Wednesday, saying it was by a senior official in the administration. The paper's opinion section said it was taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous article because disclosing the author's identity would jeopardise the person's job.