A manifesto allegedly written by the suspect in an attack on a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, that left 49 people dead and scores more injured claimed inspiration from Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik and suggested that the pair had been in "brief contact"
Breivik, who killed 77 people on July 22, 2011 in a bomb attack in Oslo and a mass shooting at a summer camp for children, is currently serving a 21-year sentence in a prison near the city of Skien.
The manifesto in the Christchurch shooting contains many references to online culture. Many of the claims in the manifesto are uncorroborated and some appear to be designed to mislead.
Speaking to the Norwegian newspaper VG, Breivik's lawyer Øystein Storrvik said that his client has very little access to the outside world and he found it hard to believe that the two could have been in contact. "In practice, Breivik is cut off from the outside world," Storrvik said.
Espen Jambak, assistant prison chief at Breivik's prison, also told VG that there is "communication control" in Norwegian prisons and that officials there have no knowledge of a letter to Breivik from the person named in media reports about the Christchurch attack.