SA’s Hogan tested positive for banned substance
Johannesburg - The country’s top discus thrower Victor Hogan was the surprise omission from the South African team for the Rio Olympics after the national anti-doping body confirmed he had tested positive for the banned substance methylhexaneamine.
The SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport (Saids) chief executive Khalid Galant confirmed Hogan’s sample from the South African Championships in Stellenbosch in April had tested positive for the prohibited substance.
“He tested positive for methylhexaneamine which is a specified substance, there was no provisional sanction, and he requested the B-sample to be analysed which confirmed the A-sample,” Galant said.
“He subsequently received the written decision for admission of guilt which is a two year ban which started effectively from July 12.”
The three-time African champion was considered a dark horse for the Rio Olympics after a mammoth throw of 67.62m at the national champions in Stellenbosch.
The personal best heave moved Hogan to fourth on the South African all-time list while he successfully defended his continental title last month in Durban.
Hogan made his breakthrough in 2013 when he finished in a creditable fifth place at the IAAF World Championships in Moscow.
Galant said Saids constantly warned athletes about the presence of methylhexaneamine in sports supplements which is unregulated.
“It is a very strong stimulant and common in sports supplements especially pre-competition drinks, fat burners and we’ve repeatedly warned athletes,” Galant said.
“It is not a new substance and quite a few athletes have fallen foul.”