JOHANNESBURG - Cricket SA (CSA) and the SA Cricketers’ Association (Saca) on Friday jointly announced a one-week delay in the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the two parties. The agreement which covers the next four-year period will be signed off by July 6, 2018. The MOU18 agreement replaces the interim agreement that was put in place in April this year.
“Negotiations have taken place in a positive and constructive spirit,” said CSA acting chief executive Thabang Moroe. "But it is important that the drafting process is very thorough as it covers virtually every aspect of professional cricket for both men and women over the next four years, involving not just CSA and Saca, but the franchises and provinces as well.”
Tony Irish, SACA chief executive, commented: “A lot of progress has been made since CSA and Saca signed an Interim agreement at the end of April and we have consensus on virtually all of the key aspects. We are now in the drafting process and have set ourselves a revised joint target of July 6 to complete that and sign the agreements.”
The MOU involves three separate comprehensive agreements being a main agreement, regulating player contract and related issues, a commercial rights agreement, regulating the use of player commercial rights, and a Recognition Agreement, regulating the ongoing relationship between CSA and Saca.
Meanwhile, CSA has welcomed the interest shown by former franchise holders of the defunct T20 Global League to be involved in CSA’s new franchise-based T20 competition.
What a memorable 27 years it’s been!💚
Today marks Cricket South Africa’s 27th anniversary of its founding under its previous name, United Cricket Board of South Africa 👏
Here’s to many more years🎉🥂.#HappyBirthday #CSA27years #ThatsOurGame pic.twitter.com/iI5DPnyULA
“The fact that they want to be part of it is an encouraging response and this confirms that they believe, as we indeed do, that our new T20 is a good product that compares with the best international standards,” said Moroe. "At the same time, it is essential that we follow process in the development of our T20 strategy which in the first place required us to resolve the outstanding issues from last year.
“As has been well documented, the key to the postponement was the inability to secure key stakeholders and revenue streams. We have now secured a broadcasting equity partner and are currently engaging potential sponsors. Once those parties are secured as a collective the business plan will be finalised. We will then be in a position to clarify what we can propose and offer to other stakeholders,” concluded Moroe.
African News Agency (ANA)