A volunteer removes ski gates at the Yongpyong Alpine Centre on Monday after the women's giant slalom at the Winter Olympics is postponed due to high winds. Photo: REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is not yet concerned about disruption to the Olympic programme after strong winds led Monday to a second alpine ski event being postponed.

IOC spokesperson Mark Adams described rescheduling events at the Pyeongchang Winter Games as a "headache" but said reserve days were built in.

"We are on day three, so, come back on day 14 and we can discuss it again," Adams told journalists when asked about pushing back the end date of the Games.

"I think it is a bit early to talk about (an extension). There are reserve days. We have plenty of time to get all the competition in."

Organizers postponed the women's giant slalom at Yongpyong Alpine Centre until Thursday when conditions are expected to be more stable. The men's downhill had already been put back to Thursday from Sunday.

A shortened women's snowboard slopestyle final went ahead on Monday in high winds, after qualifying was cancelled completely a day earlier.

At the women's giant slalom venue a television camera fell off a podium, narrowly missing a nearby journalist, as winds topped 70 kilometres per hour.

Adams said that although athletes are often consulted in a decision to call off a race, the ultimate responsibility for safety lies with the federation in charge, in these instances, the world skiing governing body FIS.

"The federation is used to running these events, they run them throughout the season," Adams said.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter