JOHANNESBURG – Sascoc will lay charges against the sacked trio of officials, including former chief executive Tubby Reddy.
Sascoc vice-president Barry Hendricks confirmed yesterday that the Olympic body had been advised to lay charges following the outcome of their in absentia disciplinary hearing in December.
Reddy, chief financial officer Vinesh Maharaj and senior manager Jean Kelly were found guilty of various misconduct and maladministration charges.
The inquiry was chaired by Anton Myburgh, an independent senior advocate and member of the Johannesburg Bar.
The trio is set to challenge the findings through an appeal at the CCMA, while the trio has sent two open letters to Sascoc’s membership rebutting the findings of the disciplinary inquiry.
Hendricks said the findings against the three former employees were of such a serious nature that they have been advised to press charges.
“We haven’t laid charges yet, we wanted our legal team to advise us according to the proper process, but it was a recommendation by our auditors that we should institute proceedings against them,” Hendricks said.
“It is going to take place if we had to follow our fiduciary duties, we were told we had to do this.”
The commission of inquiry to investigate alleged irregularities at Sascoc is expected to start next Monday.
Three months have been set aside for the public hearing that will be led by Judge Ralph Zulman. The terms of reference will include the recommendations and actions taken against Reddy, Maharaj, and Kelly.