Everton's failure to bolster their defence in the close season is "not the best scenario" with only three senior centre backs available for selection ahead of the new Premier League season, manager Marco Silva said on Friday.
After Kurt Zouma's return to Chelsea following a season-long loan deal, Everton have only Yerry Mina, Michael Keane and Mason Holgate as their main centre back options.
British media reported the Merseyside club were unsuccessful in their bid to sign Manchester United's Chris Smalling earlier in the transfer window, and also failed to lure his team mate Marcos Rojo before the deadline on Thursday.
"We had our targets and for many reasons we didn't achieve some of them," Silva told a news conference ahead of their league opener at Crystal Palace on Saturday.
"That's football. It's not the best scenario to start with just three defenders but we have to manage the situation in the best way."