FNB Stadium, Soweto. PSL Soccer Kaizer Chiefs vs Supersport United. 290412. Chiefs' Siphiwe Tshabalala appears to dive from the challenge by Supersport'sshley Hartog. Picture: Etienne Rothbart.

Kaizer Chiefs were beaten 2-1 by SuperSport United in their Premiership match at FNB Stadium on Saturday evening.

A goal in either half by the visitors was enough to see off the challenge from the hosts as Chiefs crashed to a fourth premiership defeat in a row.

Chiefs were looking to give their unlikely title challenge some hope, while SuperSport were searching for their fourth consecutive win and to close the gap on log-leaders Pirates to one point.

SuperSport scored just before half-time to take the lead and then doubled their advantage in the 55th minute.

Chiefs had countless chances to score, but their finishing was anything but clinical.

SuperSport now lie second on the table with 48 points, while Chiefs are in sixth with 40 points but only three points above ninth position.

The visitors started the match brighter and were close to opening the scoring in the third minute. From a corner, a headed attempt by Morgan Gould was cleared off the line by Siphiwe Tshabalala.

Chiefs were awarded a free kick 30 metres out from a foul on Mthokozisi Yende in the 27th minute, and the quick free-kick was taken by Mandla Masango which required a reactionary, full-length diving save from Ronwen Williams in the SuperSport goal.

In the 37th minute, Chiefs launched an attacking move and Abia Nale ran at the SuperSport defence and showed some fancy footwork before losing possession on the edge of the area.

SuperSport took the lead in the 39th minute, amid confusion from the home side in defence. The visitors sent the ball into the area from a free-kick and Thabo September struck the crossbar with his header, before Ashley Hartog banged in the goal from point-blank range to make it 1-0 to the silence the home crowd.

In the second period SuperSport pressed Chiefs as they went in search of a second goal.

Kermit Erasmus tried his luck in the 54th minute when SuperSport had a free-kick, and his wild sliced attempt was nowhere near the target.

Erasmus took a minute to redeem himself though, as he scored one of the best goals of the season. His stunning strike from 30 metres out on the right hand side left captain Itumeleng Khune, in the Chiefs goal, picking the ball out of the back the net as his side trailed 2-0.

With a two goal deficit, Amakhosi began to play with urgency and intent.

Chiefs pulled a goal back in the 61st minute, as Lehlonono Majoro nudged the ball over the line from close range to give the hosts a chance of salvaging something from the game.

Tshabalala came close to levelling the score in the 71st minute. He found good space in the box, but his headed attempt went straight to Williams.

Sthembiso Ngcobo came even closer six minutes later.

From inside the six-yard area, he managed to rifle his shot into the crossbar as the Soweto giants kept the pressure on their opponents. - Sapa