Fagrie Lakay of Ajax Cape Town is challenged by Thapelo Tshilo of Polokwane City at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday. Photo: Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix

Ajax Cape Town’s inability to win on the road continued unabated with a 1-1 draw against Polokwane City at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Cape side is yet to win away from home this season, and their record on the road now reads seven defeats and three draws.

If there’s a reason why Ajax are still anchored towards the basement of the PSL standings, then this is most certainly it.

The solution is simple: To move up the log, they are going to have to improve performances and results away from home.

On Sunday, Ajax went ahead and selected Zimbabwean striker Tendai Ndoro despite the uncertainty surrounding his eligibility.

While the player has been cleared by the PSL’s Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC), the PSL itself has taken it on appeal, and a decision is pending from the resultant arbitration hearing.

Ndoro’s case revolves around the fact that he has played for three clubs this season – Orlando Pirates, Al Faisaly in Saudia Arabia and Ajax – and according to Fifa rules, this is illegal.

But as Ajax have argued, as things stand right now because of the DRC decision, Ndoro is clear to play.

Nevertheless, as Pirates did in their clash with the Cape side last week, Polokwane also lodged a protest before the game against the player’s inclusion.

Ajax coach Muhsin Ertugral was forced into a few changes from the team that defeated Orlando Pirates last week.

Goalkeeper Brandon Petersen, captain Mosa Lebusa and Ivory Coast Yannick Zakri were all injured, which brought in Jody February in goal, Fagrie Lakay in attack and Isaac Nhlapo in defence.

Polokwane dominated most of the action, and it was to Dominic Chungwa that the home team’s chances accrued to, but he failed to make the most of it.

February also pulled off some smart saves to keep his team in the game.

For Ajax, especially in the sapping heat, the game plan was to soak up the pressure and catch Polokwane on the break.

They had a few inviting openings, with particularly Lakay’s pace causing problems.

Polokwane, though, took the lead in the 69th minute when Walter Musona cracked in a thunderous shot which even February couldn’t stop.

But the Capetonians rallied and, after another swift build-up on the counter, Lakay was in the box to steer in the equaliser in the 80th minute.


IOL Sport