Golden Arrows coach Clinton Larsen issues instructions to his players. Picture: BackpagePix

It was joyfully day for football loving people in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) as all the three teams in the province cemented a place in next season MTN 8.

Maritzburg United played out to 1-1 stalemate with Lamontville Golden Arrows at Harry Gwala Stadium. 

Lerato Lamola broke the deadlock for Abafana Bes'thende and Fortune Marakinge netted the equaliser for the Team of Choice. 

United finished fourth on the log with 44 points after 30 matches while Arrows ended the league on position number 7.

AmaZulu defeated Cape Town City in their Absa Premiership tie at King Zwelithini Stadium in Umlazi to finish 8th on the log. 

All the three teams will be competing for R8 million at the start of 2018/19 season. 

United fell shot in the pursuit to finish third on the log which would have taken them to the Caf Confederation Cup but they still have an opportunity to book a place in Africa next week if they Free State Stars in the Nedbank Cup final in Cape Town. 

United created early goal scoring opportunities but Pogiso Senoka and Delion Mekoa failed to make Arrows pay as their fluff their chances.

The Team of Choice were in control of the game with Siphesihle Ndlovu and Lebohang Maboe combining nicely in the middle of the park. 

Arrows came from nowhere to take the lead through Lerato Lamola in the 21st minutes, United committed a foul in the middle of the park and Abafana Bes'thende took quick free kick which led to the goal.

From there on Arrows gained momentum but decision making in the final third let them down.

Ndlovu was causing a lot of havoc for Abafana Bes'thende. Danny Phiri and Siboniso Conco were both cautioned for the dangerous player on Ndlovu.

United mentor Fadlu Davids put in a very strong line up as he went for his regulars. 

His team didn't play like a team whose mind is in next week Nedbank Cup against Free State Stars in Cape Town as they fought and battled. 

The game went in to the interval Arrows leading 1-0. 

United began the second half like they commenced the first half. 

They were all over Arrows which saw Clinton Larsen brought on Sandile Zuke and Siphelele Magubane in the places of Phiri and Conco as he tried to stabilise the midfield and utilise the speedy on the flanks. 

Nkosingiphile Gumede pulled off a great save to deny Bandile Shandu who unleashed a powerful shot in the 77th minutes. 

The hard work finally paid off for United as Fortune Makaringe headed his side back in to the match. 

It was all happening at this stage with the rain pouring down heavily, United all over Arrows and fans in their full voice signing. 

Richard Ofori was called in to action in the last minutes of the match as Magubane combined well with Velemseni Ndwandwe and curled a good shot but the Ghanaian stood firm and paired the ball over the bar for the corner. 

IOL Sport

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter