Johannesburg - The Premiership match between Wits and Black Leopards ended in a goalless draw at Bidvest Stadium on Tuesday evening.

The Clever Boys came into the match trying to break a 13-match winless streak, but with the point garnered from the draw they secured their place in the top flight next season with 30 points from 29 matches in 13th spot on the log.

Meanwhile, Leopards, still languish third from bottom with 25 points from 28 games, with only Santos and Jomo Cosmos below them.

In the first period the Students had the better chances, but in the final third lacked killer-instinct to trouble Azwindini Maphaha in the visitors' goal.

Leopards, however, began to show good movement with the ball and displayed attacking intent and one of their first efforts came from Rodney Ramagalela through a long range shot, which went wide.

Wits camped in the Leopards half and had a number of corners early on, which they failed to convert.

Bradley Ritson for Wits showed good control in the middle of the park and dispatched a number of quality balls for his forwards.

Leopards after the opening 15 minutes tried to speed up the game with a number of short passes.

In the 20th minute Bongolethu Jayiya found space on the left hand side of the box, and, unmarked, his shot went wide of the target.

A minute later Nyiko Tshabangu tried his luck for the home side from the edge of the area, but his strike sailed well wide into the crowd.

Both teams were poor on defence and struggled with their passing, giving away possession easily.

Wits had their best chance in the 29th minute. They were awarded a free-kick just outside the box in the middle, but the shot from Ritson was straight into the wall.

Six minutes before the break, Wits keeper Emile Baron had to contend with a late challenge from Kingston Nkhatha as he landed with his full weight on the keeper's foot, and was yellow carded for his reckless tackle. Baron continued to struggle with his foot until the half-time break.

After the interval Baron was substituted and Energy Murambadoro. Jayiya stepped up to take a free-kick in a dangerous position, in the 61st minute, on the left 25 metres out, and he went for goal, but Maphaha was able to block the shot that tried to sneak in under the crossbar.

Ritson came close in the 58th minute with a left foot shot on the edge of the box that flew just wide of the target. - Sapa