JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - DECEMBER 04, Wade Paton during the FIH Champions Challenge 1 3rd / 4th playoff match between South Africa and Argentina from Randburg Hockey Stadium on December 04, 2011 in Johannesburg, South Africa Photo by Duif du Toit / Gallo Images

The South African men’s hockey team were pushed all the way by Scotland, holding on for a 6-5 win in their final match of the Celtic Cup yesterday.

In a match featuring a brace from both Ian Haley and Lloyd Norris-Jones, three penalty strokes and two yellow cards, Dan Coultas stole the show by scoring all five of Scotland’s goals.

South Africa opened the scoring in the eighth minute, through Thornton McDade who was bundled over by Scottish goalkeeper Alan Dick but managed to squeeze the ball in.

McDade’s strike opened the floodgates as the South Africans scored three goals in as many minutes with a double from Haley and a goal by Norris-Jones.

Haley opened his account 15 minutes into the game after latching on to a wayward shot from Julian Hykes, before unleashing a strike of his own with Dick stranded behind a wall of defenders.

Scotland had barely regrouped when Haley doubled his tally and then a

vital challenge from Lloyd Madsen turned defence into attack as McDade led Norris-Jones towards goal and the striker made no mistake.

Scotland did well to pull one back with seconds left before the break, with Coultas scoring from a penalty corner.

Coultas proved to be a major thorn in the South Africans’ side as he scored a second penalty corner five minutes into the second half.

The Scottish defender completed his hat-trick six minutes later from a penalty stroke before scoring his fourth of the afternoon four minutes later as Scotland drew level at 4-4.

SA regained their lead a minute later when Norris-Jones grabbed his second. The match looked set to remain at 5-4 but an infringement in the Scottish area allowed Andrew Cronje to convert from the spot.

Coultas was to have the last say of the match, however, as he grabbed his fifth goal.