Moses Sithole sues Correctional Services

Time of article published Oct 24, 2012

Share this article:

BALDWIN NDABA AND OMPHITLHETSE MOOKI

[email protected] and [email protected]

SOUTH Africa’s worst serial killer, Moses Sithole, has taken the government to task, accusing it of illegally transferring him to a Bloemfontein prison against his will.

The man, who is serving a jail term of 2410 years for raping 40 women and killing 37 of them, has filed an urgent application in the Johannesburg High Court, challenging his transfer to Mangaung prison from Sun City (Johannesburg Prison). The 38th murder victim was the two-year-old son of one of the women he killed.

In court papers, Sithole, 48, argued that Correctional Services officials came to his cell at Sun City in August last year and forcefully transferred him to Mangaung C-Max prison.

Sithole was initially incarcerated at the Pretoria C-Max prison from December 5, 1997. He was transferred to the Zonderwater Maximum Medium A correctional centre in Cullinan on March 17 last year.

A month later, Sithole was moved to the Johannesburg Maximum Medium C correctional centre in Joburg at his request.

But, Sithole said he was “forcefully” transferred to the Bloemfontein facility on August 17 last year, without prior notice or reasons being given.

The move, he said, was affecting the “emotional and psychological bond” he had forged with a daughter who was just a few months old when he was arrested in 1995.

Sithole made a joint application with Erick Jhon Jungbluth Guerra, a maximum prison inmate serving a 15-year jail term. It was unclear why Guerra was incarcerated, but he indicated in court papers that he was moved to the Bloemfontein facility from Joburg in September last year. Like Sithole, he was not given reasons.

Since their transfers, the two men have not had visits from family as the 540km trip would cost a single family member almost R3000.

“The decision has also impacted negatively on the social and psychological well-being of the family of the applicants,” the pair said.

The matter was postponed to next month.

Share this article: