Johannesburg - A stealthy two-day police hunt proved to be the downfall of the mysterious man accused of killing and burying the bodies of seven Vlakfontein people, among whom were children.
The 27-year-old, who police confirmed on Sunday was living a double life with different aliases, couldn’t escape their clutches over the weekend after he was released on Thursday due to a lack of evidence.
He then fled to Mpumalanga shortly after his release from custody, but was recaptured on Saturday in the Mpumalanga town of Lebombo, which is near the border with Mozambique.
Police said last week that sharp objects were used to carry out these brutal murders, where three adults and four children, the youngest of whom was a 2-year-old girl, were buried in different parts of the property.
On Sunday, Gauteng police spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo said police had been tracking their target since Thursday, expressing confidence that they had nabbed their man.