Picture: Pexels
Picture: Pexels

I hugged and kissed him for 30 minutes, says mom of kidnapped Queen's High teen

By Chulumanco Mahamba Time of article published Feb 27, 2020

Share this article:

The mother of a Queens High School Grade 8 learner who was allegedly kidnapped said she kissed and hugged her son for 30 minutes after they were reunited at Maponya Mall in Soweto on Wednesday.

Lindokuhle Masuku’s father arrived at the school in Kensington, Joburg, to fetch his 14-year-old son on Monday afternoon, however, the teenager was nowhere to be seen.

It was later established that the youngster was kidnapped when the father started receiving calls from people demanding a R5million ransom.

Musuku’s father and Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson Steve Mabona confirmed that Lindokuhle had been found after he was dropped off at Maponya Mall in Soweto.

Lindokuhle’s mother, Portia Julius, told The Star on Wednesday afternoon that her son was safely at home and sleeping at the family home in Meadowlands.

“He’s doing alright but they (the suspects) left him by the robot at the back entrance of the mall, close to the hostel, and then he went to the mall security office,” the youngster’s mother said.

Julius added that she still did not know what had happened to her son and that the family was waiting for the police to provide more information.

“We are very happy. When we went to the mall and I saw him and he said, ‘Mama’, the feeling was overwhelming and I kissed and hugged him for 30 minutes,” she said.

Julius added that the time she wasn’t aware of Lindokuhle whereabouts was hell for her and the family.

“It was hell and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

“I felt like I was in the dark and I didn’t understand so the feeling was terrible,” she said.

Gauteng police spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo said the suspects who allegedly kidnapped Lindokuhle were still at large.

“We received a call from the father to say he was found by security guards at Maponya Mall and we also went to the mall and found the boy,” he added.

Masondo said Lindokuhle was taken to a medical practitioner to check if he was harmed.

The police are studying the practioner’s report and will investigate the matter further.

Share this article: