Independent Online

Monday, June 27, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Senzo Meyiwa murder: Cops probe Kelly Khumalo’s phone records

Kelly Khumalo and Senzo Meyiwa. Picture: Instagram

Kelly Khumalo and Senzo Meyiwa. Picture: Instagram

Published Oct 28, 2020

Share

Johannesburg – An internal document which formed part of the communication among investigating officers looking into the murder of Senzo Meyiwa’s murder was accidentally shared with the media during the court proceedings.

The documents suggests Meyiwa’s girlfriend, Kelly Khumalo was a person of interest in the 2014 murder case because of an alleged telephone conversation she apparently had with one of the suspects around the time of the incident. Khumalo has previously said she had nothing to do with the murder.

Story continues below Advertisement

Muzikawukhulelwa S’tembu Sibiya, Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Sifokuhle Sifiso Nkani Ntuli have been arrested for the murder. They have been charged with murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, attempted murder and being in possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition and appeared at the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

It emerged during court the document should not have been made public. However, it was already posted on social media.

The document suggested police were investigating Khumalo’s cellphone record to determine if the singer was in contact with the accused.

It further suggested it was previously mentioned there was a lender who allegedly gave money to Khumalo and stated a statement from the lender must be obtained.

“It was previously mentioned that there was a lender who advanced money to Ms Kelly Khumalo, ostensibly to pay hit men, and that this lender was pestering her for the repayment of this loan. The statement of such lender must be obtained (sic),” read the document.

Reacting to the bungle, National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said: “This document is not something that should be in the public domain … We need to make sure, all of us (law enforcement) and you (media) that at the end of the day we don’t compromise the integrity of the case.”

Story continues below Advertisement

There was also drama in court when Magistrate Hans Havenga told the four other suspects, who did not have legal representation, that they were entitled to a lawyer.

Only Ntanzi appeared with a legal representative.

The third suspect, Mncube told the court he did not see the necessity to have a legal representative because he did not know why he was brought to court.

Story continues below Advertisement

“I will not enter the accused dock because I did not kill Senzo Meyiwa. The police alleged that at the time of the incident we were outside, but it was later discovered that we were in custody,” Mncube said.

Maphisa and Ntuli, who also refused to enter the dock, echoed Mncube’s statement about having a lawyer, and denied involvement in Meyiwa’s death.

“The people who were supposed to appear before court are not here because they have money,” Maphisa said.

Story continues below Advertisement

Havenga advised the accused to think about getting legal representation.

The prosecutor, advocate George Baloyi then proceeded to read out the charges which detailed the night when Meyiwa visited Khumalo’s mother in Vosloorus and was shot.

Baloyi said at around 8pm two persons burst into the home armed with a firearm and a knife, demanding money and cellphones, and a scuffle ensued between Meyiwa and the person with a firearm.

“A shot was discharged and it ricocheted on the floor and struck Zandile Khumalo (Khumalo’s sister) in the right ankle. A second shot went off and Mr Meyiwa was then shot once in the chest whilst in a standing position, and the bullet went through his chest and exited at his back and hit the back of the door that Mr Meyiwa was standing against,” the prosecutor said.

Baloyi added that a Samsung phone was removed from Khumalo before the suspects fled the scene.

The State has maintained Meyiwa was killed during an armed robbery, despite AfriForum’s head of private prosecutions unit advocate Gerrie Nel saying on Monday that the lobby group was confident Meyiwa’s death was a hit.

All five suspects told the court they would not apply for bail as they were already in custody for other matters, and the case was postponed to November 27.

Speaking after court, Meyiwa’s brother Sifiso said this was still the beginning of the case and the court would prove whether the suspects who were arrested were involved in his brother’s death.

“I’m happy that there are suspects who were arrested, and the police wouldn’t have arrested them without evidence,” he said. The brother added that the family believed that there would be more arrests.

The Star

Related Topics:

Senzo Meyiwa

Share