IOL Mobile App FAQ
About the App
What is the IOL mobile app?
The IOL mobile app represents the very best in traditional and digital journalism, with breaking news from South Africa and the rest of world and in-depth quality reporting from over 20 of the most trusted newspaper brands across South Africa.
You can access the following newspapers:
Pretoria News, The Mercury, The Star, Daily Voice, Isolezwe, Cape Times, Cape Argus, DFA, Tonight, Business Report, Daily News, Isolezwe ngeSonto, Weekend Argus, Sunday Tribune, The Sunday Independent, Personal Finance, Saturday Star, Isolezwe ngoMgqibelo, The Independent on Saturday, Motoring, The Post, African Independent, Pretoria News Weekend.
Where can I download the app?
How much does the app cost?
The app is free to download. The IOL News sections are freely available to all users, as well as the unique features
such as the User Generated Module and the Augmented Reality component.
If you wish to unlock even further top quality news from the Independent Media newspapers (listed above), you can purchase a subscription for R99,99*.
*The IOL app is currently undergoing a pricing change and it will cost R99.99 as of 1 September 2018. This is subject to change at any point.
How much space does the app require on my device?
The Android app is 70 MB (without downloaded content).
The Apple app is dependent on your phone, for example iPhone 8 Plus is 80 MB and the iPhone 6 is 75 MB.
What is the download size?
The Android app size to download is 26.5 MB.
Apple is dependent on the Phone and OS. An example is that it is 75MB on iPhone 8+.
Is the app supported on my phone?
For Android, we support the previous two major versions. Currently, this is Android 5.0 and higher.
For Apple, we support iOS10 or later, and it is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
How do I personalise my feed?
You can set your preferences to show you only what you are interested in. For example, if you only like to read about Sports and Business, then you have the option to tailor your feed accordingly. On launch of the app, you will be shown your personalisation screen. Here you can select and deselect the sections you want to see on your ‘My News’ feed, as well as order them to your preference.
You can access this personalisation screen to change your preferences at any point, by clicking on the floating pencil icon on the lower right of your screen.
What notifications are available?
Get notifications for breaking news. Ensure you have your notifications enable on the Settings screen.
How do I save articles to read later?
You can bookmark all articles by clicking on the Bookmark icon on the top right of the article screen. To access these articles, navigate to your Bookmark section in the menu.
Will the app work with my device on Airplane mode?
Yes, you will be able to access data that was previously downloaded, however you won't receive updates and the latest news until you have reconnected to the internet.
What is User Generated Content (UGC)?
We invite you to contribute your news coverage that happens in your neighbourhood and to share your stories, that will allow us to publish to the +/- 3 million readers we have - every month. Find this feature under our “Share your story” section in the menu, or by simply clicking on the camera icon on the homepage.
You will need to login before being able to share your story, and you can do this through your Google account, Facebook and/or Twitter.
What is Augmented Reality (AR)?
Augmented Reality works by scanning an image in your print title with your mobile phone or tablet's camera,
triggering a virtual interaction or experience.
Open the AR component within the IOL app by clicking on the AR logo on the lower menu bar or from within the
The camera will be activated and you can instantly scan an augmented image from your newspaper / print.
You can access previous scans and campaigns by clicking on the History tab.
What newspapers / editions are available?
All Independent Media single title newspapers are available on the IOL app. Content is restricted to readers with a
valid subscription and/or free trial.
You can access this content by navigating to the Newspaper icon on your toolbar and selecting the desired newspaper to read.
The past 7 (*subject to change) editions are available, and you can select the one that you want by clicking on the calendar icon on the top right of the screen.
You can also personalise your Newspaper feed by selecting the newspapers you wish to see:
- On Android, click on the floating red pencil on the lower right of the screen and select / deselect the desired newspapers. You can also change the order you see them by dropping and dragging.
- On iOS, click the Edit button on the top right of the Newspaper screen, and select / deselect the desired newspapers.
What PDFs are available?
You can download all available newspaper past editions in PDF format. You need an active subscription to utilise
To get the PDFs, navigate to the Newspaper section on the app, and select the desired Newspaper (e.g. Daily News).
Select the edition you want:
- On iOS, select the top right menu icon and select ‘Section PDFs’ and select the desired section of the newspaper to download
- On Android, click the top right PDF icon and select the desired section of the newspaper to download Please note that if you do not see the PDF icon on Android, or if you cannot download the PDFs in iOS, you may not have an active subscription or valid free trial.
What if I only want access to one of the Independent Media titles?
You can also download the individual title apps. A single title app subscription costs R24.99, and you can follow
the same sign up procedure as you do for the IOL mobile app.
Please find a list of these below:
Account and Subscriptions
How does the free trial work?
You receive a two week free trial on first launch of the app. This gives you full access to all the apps content, including all of the newspapers and PDF versions. Once your free trial is over, you can sign in and purchase a subscription , in order to continuing having full access to all the apps content.
How do I get a discount voucher code for my subscription?
You can only receive a voucher personally from an Independent Media representative.
You can contact the team at [email protected].
How does the voucher work?
If you have a valid voucher code, you can enter this in the Voucher field on the Accounts and Subscription screen.
How does the Subscription work?
- Subscription price is currently R37.99 on iOS and R24.99 on Android. This is to be updated to R99.99 as of 1 September 2018 across both platforms.
- Your subscription automatically renews every month unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
- You can manage your subscription and switch off the auto-renewal by accessing your Account Settings after purchase.
- You cannot cancel the current subscription during the active subscription period.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited if you purchase a subscription to that publication.
How do I complete the subscription process?
- Navigate to “Account & Subscription” in your navigation menu.
- If you have an existing subscription, you can sign in to access on different devices. You can sign in either through your Facebook, Google Plus account or your email.
- If you do not yet have a subscription and wish to purchase one, you can click on the “Purchase” button.
- Click “Continue” to proceed, or “Read more” to find out more details.
- You will need to sign in to your Itunes account in order to proceed to complete your purchase.
- Your Itunes account will automatically be billed monthly.
- Click on “Account & Subscription” in your navigation menu.
- Click the subscribe button.
- There will be three options displayed to sign in (your email address, Google Plus account & Facebook).
- After signing in, proceed to payment a monthly billing of R24.99 will be deducted monthly. This will be updated as of 1st September 2018 to R99.99.
- After payment process has been completed, you will receive a confirmation of the subscription.
What do I do if I was incorrectly billed or if I have an issue with my payment?
You can email for assistance: [email protected].
How do I know what version of the app I have?
By navigating to the About screen in the menu of your app, you will be able to see what version of the app you currently have installed.
What do I do if I discover a bug in the app?
Please contact [email protected].