DURBAN - Both the Sharks and Patrick Lambie have denied claims from a French newspaper that he has signed a done-and-dusted deal with Paris club Racing 92.
According to a Sharks spokesperson, Lambie is contracted to the Sharks and links with the French club made through Midi-Olympique newspaper are speculation.
The 26-year-old is still undergoing return-to-play protocols after a concussion earlier this year, the latest in a series of unlucky injury incidents, and he first needs to be medically cleared before he makes a decision on his rugby career.
The French newspaper insist that Lambie is joining the Paris club on a three-year-deal.
On Tuesday Lambie reportedly said on Twitter that “despite some rumours, I need to get fit and be cleared to play again before making any decisions on the future”.
The Sharks referred the media to a July 6 press release that said the flyhalf was looking forward to returning to the game.
“I will be playing rugby again and I certainly have no plans to retire,” he said. “My focus for now is purely on making a full recovery and getting fit and strong again.
"Once the three-month rest period has been completed, I will be reassessed to determine where we are in terms of the rugby calendar for the rest of the 2017 season.”
The 56-Test Springbok is contracted to play for the Sharks in Super Rugby next year.
There have been rumours in the press for some time that Lambie wants a break from the South African game after his run of misfortune and the French club Racing 92 has been linked with Lambie in the past.
There has also been (unconfirmed) speculation from the Cape that Stormers flyhalf Robert du Preez could be returning to his native Durban.