Durban - The Louw family is battling to come to terms with the latest developments in the case after police confirmed that the body found buried in a shallow grave in Phoenix last week, belongs to Miguel Louw. The family have asked to be given time to digest the news.
On Wednesday, KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson, Colonel Thembeka Mbele made the announcement.
“It has been formally confirmed that the body of a child that was found at Longbury Drive last week is that of Miguel Louw,” she said.
DNA samples were taken from Miguel’s parents, Kurt and Raylene days after the gruesome find.
On Monday last week, the missing boy’s body was discovered buried in a shallow grave in dense bushes. At the time, those at the scene said the boy’s head had been covered with a jacket. Police and private security teams stumbled across Miguel’s body while hunting for suspects who had robbed a local tuckshop.
Combine Community Watch’s Domenic King, said trauma counselling had been arranged for the family on Wednesday evening following the confirmation by police.
King, who had been involved in the search for Miguel since his disappearance on July 17, said it had been an emotional moment when the DNA results were confirmed.
“I don’t know what to feel. I am angry but know this is closure for the family,” he said.
Miguel’s aunt, Nadia Omarjee, said not all of their family had been informed of the outcome of the DNA results. She declined to comment further.