Sassa to stop issuing cards over security
Durban - THE South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) will no longer issue Sassa cards after the South African Reserve Bank issued a directive that the cards had been compromised.
Yesterday Sassa spokesperson Sandy Godlwana said it was based on this that Sassa and SA Post Office (Sapo) took a decision to discontinue the issuing of the Sassa/Sapo card and it must be replaced before March 31 next year.
“It is against this backdrop that we wish to inform the public that Sassa will no longer issue Sassa cards to new social grants applicants. All social grant applicants are requested to come with a valid and active bank account when applying for a social grant. Sassa cards will not be an option for new applicants,” said Godlwana.
She said social grant applicants who do not have bank accounts, will be referred to financial institutions for the opening of private bank accounts. Existing social grant beneficiaries will continue to use their Sassa cards, and the replacement of lost or stolen cards will be processed through the Sapo.
Meanwhile, political parties expressed their concern regarding the social grant payment system after Sergeant Hloniphile Blose and two men were arrested in two separate cases for being in possession of Sassa cards. Blose was caught with 48 Sassa cards, one EasyPay card and R2350 in cash while the two men had 495 Sassa cards.
IFP Social Development spokes- person Les Govender said: “The two suspects should not be granted bail until they expose the big fish behind the misuse and squandering of taxpayers’ money.”
DA counterpart Elma Rabe said Sassa needed to get its act together.