Durban - A woman and her school-going daughter escaped unharmed when the car they were travelling in caught alight in Greyville on Monday.
The woman had been driving her Polo along Cross Street towards Gladys Mzansi Road. Speaking from inside the ambulance she told police that when she stopped at the robots she noticed smoke emanating from the engine compartment.
She hurriedly got off the car with her daughter and moments later it was engulfed in flames. The car was completely destroyed by the fire.
The Durban fire department responded and extinguished the fire. The smoke from the fire could be seen on the Berea. Several residents thought a building or the nearby school was on fire.
A paramedic at One Stop Ambulance Services said both the mother and her daughter were treated for shock.
Peak hour traffic on the busy Cross Street thoroughfare had to be diverted by Durban Metro police onto Carlisle Street.