Acting mayor Fawzia Peer Picture: Sibonelo Ngcobo/African News Agency(ANA)

Durban - The city has confirmed that they have sent a bottle of water, thought to be laced with paraffin, for testing. 

It is alleged that acting mayor, Fawzia Peer, was rushed to hospital after drinking from the water bottle. 

In a statement released on Thursday, eThekwini Municipality's acting head of communications, Mandla Nsele, confirmed that they have sent the bottle to a laboratory for testing. 

"We will await for the results from the laboratory as well as her doctor’s findings before making any conclusion on the matter," he said. 

Nsele confirmed that Peer had been taken for a check up. Nsele refuted claims that Peer had been poisoned.

He said Peer had complained about the taste of the water she had consumed. 

DA's eThekwini caucus leader, Nicole Graham, said councillors were informed not to consume the water. 

"The speaker just announced that there is paraffin in someone’s water bottle and told us not to drink the water. The deputy mayor just left abruptly covering her mouth. What the hell just happened?!" she said. 

The Mercury