DURBAN - Seventy people have lost their lives in the floods that battered the province on KwaZulu-Natal last week.
KZN Premier, Willies Mchunu, revealed the figures during a joint media briefing in Durban on Monday.
Mchunu said one more body was found in Marrianhill on Sunday.
"Sixty four people from eThekwini have died, while six lives were lost in the Ugu district. A total of 1469 people have been displaced with 50 people suffering injuries and two more missing," he said.
Mchunu said a day of mourning has been scheduled for Thursday, May 3. This will be a day of prayer and mourning. He said the cost of the damage stands at R1.1 billion with R685 million coming from eThekwini.