Gauteng MEC of Education Panyaza Lesufi.

Pretoria - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi along with his department are urging parents to stop delaying the placement of their children in schools left with space.

Since the beginning of applications for the 2019 academic year, the department reportedly received 323 127 applications by the eighth day.

A slight increase from the previous year where the department had to process and place 321 910 applications.

“This reflects 1 217 additional applicants in 2019. The department receives a steady annual increase in learner numbers, which has resulted in overcrowding in some schools,” said education spokesperson Steve Mabona.

Because of the overcrowding Mabona said most schools had accepted more than five additional learners per class.

Since the late application period from January 18, Mabona said the department had received 40 304 late applications, which were placed upon application.

He said of these applications 17 686 had confirmed placement and submitted the necessary documents.

However something of grave concern was the fact that the remaining 22 618 applicants had not submitted the necessary forms.

If anything by not submitting the necessary documents by Friday (January 18), the parents had ultimately forfeited 

A concern that was noted by Lesufi during the opening of the "new technology" primary school in Centurion last week.

“We formally placed all the learners, the only thing that is hampering everything going smoothly is preferences.

“We identified all the learners and forwarded letters to the parents. The majority of people have applied and they don’t want to give in their documents. Why apply and refuse to give us birth certificates and ID copies?” Lesufi said at the time.