Former president Jacob Zuma has been released from hospital and has returned to his home in Nkandla.
Former president Jacob Zuma has been released from hospital and has returned to his home in Nkandla.

Jacob Zuma resting after quietly slipping back to his Nkandla home

By Willem Phungula Time of article published Sep 29, 2021

Share this article:

DURBAN - FORMER president Jacob Zuma has quietly returned to his Nkandla home after he was released from hospital last week. ANC provincial spokesperson Nhlakanipho Ntombela told the Daily News on Tuesday that Zuma was back at his home.

Bishop Vusi Dube, a close Zuma supporter, also confirmed Zuma’s presence in Nkandla.

“Oh yes, he is home now and has been there a few days. We are planning to go and see him, but cannot give you the date because we are still discussing and arranging it with the family.”

ANC councillor in KwaNxamalala Bonokwakhe Mbambo said Zuma was home although he had not personally seen him. Mbambo said he was informed by people next to Zuma’s home that he was back, but was not sure when he had arrived.

Zuma’s release appeared to have been kept a secret by the family and the JG Zuma Foundation. Foundation spokesperson Mzwanele Manyi refused to confirm Zuma’s presence in Nkandla on Tuesday, saying if there was something newsworthy about Zuma, the foundation would update its timeline on various platforms.

The Daily News also learnt that Zuma supporters planned to descend on Nkandla on Wednesday for welcome celebrations, but it was called off after the family said they wanted him to rest for a few days before any public appearance. South African Civic Organisation (SANCO) provincial chairperson Lucky Moloi said he was aware of the event and his organisation’s youth wing was also going to be part of it, until it was postponed at the family’s request.

Zuma’s brother, Khanya, also confirmed that Zuma was home, but denied reports he was unwell, saying Zuma was much better. Khanya had told TimesLIVE that the 79-year-old former head of state had been unwell since he was “poisoned” in 2014, and that was the case even before he was admitted to hospital. He said the family were happy to have him home and that while they were not planning a big celebration yet, people had started flocking to the house.

Zuma began his 15-month sentence at the Estcourt Correctional Services facility on July 7. This was after the Constitutional Court ruling on June 29 that found Zuma guilty of being in contempt of court for defying a summons to appear at the State Capture Commission under Judge Raymond Zondo. He spent a month in prison and was then moved to One Military hospital in Pretoria in early August.

There was uproar after Correctional Services announced earlier this month that Zuma had been granted medical parole. This was after reports that Zuma had undergone an operation.

The DA, Cope and AfriForum accused Correctional Services commissioner Arthur Fraser of releasing Zuma without following due process.

Daily News

Share this article: