Durban - After enormous pressure from Mtubatuba residents, the Department of Education in KwaZulu-Natal will finally renovate the dilapidated KwaNyamazane Primary School.
MEC Kwazi Mshengu is expected to visit the school on Tuesday, where he is expected to announce the commencement of the renovation. The community in the north eastern part of the province have been on a campaign trail on social media platforms demanding the intervention of the government, particularly the department of education.
They consistently posted photos of the school in terrible conditions, which showed cracks on the walls. The community described the school buildings as a time bomb which was going to collapse at any time with pupils and teachers inside.
They also formed the school action committee. The committee chairperson Sabelo Mdamba, who also has a child in the school, told the Daily News on Tuesday morning that they were happy that their calls and prayers had been answered. He said three weeks ago, they wrote to the MEC Mshengu, asking him to visit the school within seven days, but that has been ignored.
"We have put pressure on the government using various means, including social media and people in the positions of influence to draw attention, so it's difficult to say what forced MEC to finally accede to our demand, but we thank him for finally responding positively. We were really concerned about the potential loss of lives of our children, especially as the province continues to experience severe flooding," said Mdamba.
In a statement issued by the department on Monday, it said the MEC would conduct an inspection on the infrastructure damage of the school, which is one of the schools the department will soon repair in the province.
To comment on this story send a WhatsApp message to our Backchat column on 071 085 7995