Independent Online

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

KZN Floods: “We need more than R1.9 billion to complete our work” says KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala

KwaZulu-Natal premier Sihle Zikalala providing an update on the response to the floods in the province. Picture: Supplied

KwaZulu-Natal premier Sihle Zikalala providing an update on the response to the floods in the province. Picture: Supplied

Published Apr 24, 2022

Share

Durban - The KwaZulu-Natal provincial government has indicated that although the government reprioritised R1 billion towards disaster relief interventions in the province after it was ravaged by heavy rainfall and flooding, it will need more than R1.9bn to complete its work.

This was according to Premier Sihle Zikalala when providing an update on the response to the floods in the province on Sunday.

Story continues below Advertisement

He said regarding human settlements, the construction of temporary residential units (TRUs) had started. Constructors were on-site in the Ilembe, Ugu districts and eThekwini, after starting on Friday, in line with the commitment they made.

Zikalala said they were finalising the assessment of some sites in Durban in terms of their suitability for construction.

He said they must point out that it was a moving target. They were updating the information as more information was collated through Operation Sukuma Sakhe structures and our Disaster Management centres.

“As we continue with the construction of TRUs, our focus is to accommodate more than 4 396 families that are accommodated in halls, churches, schools,” Zikalala said.

He said they were also acknowledging those accommodated by neighbours and relatives.

“We are encouraged by the support we are getting from the national government. An integrated approach involving three spheres of government is assisting to ensure speed and efficiency in the interventions,” Zikalala said.

Story continues below Advertisement

“Although the government has reprioritised R1bn towards disaster relief interventions, we need more than R1.9bn to complete our work.”

Zikalala said that as of Sunday, 17 438 households had been affected by the disaster and 121 687 people were affected. Sadly, 435 people lost their lives and to date 54 are still reported missing.

A total of 6 278 people are currently homeless and 55 people were injured as a result of this disaster.

Story continues below Advertisement

The number of those who remain in shelters was 7 245 people in eThekwini, 245 people in KwaDukuza shelters and the rest in Umzumbe, Ray Nkonyeni and Umdoni.

The premier added that as they continued with mop-up operations, the cost of damage may be revised upwards or downwards.

“Overall, it is now estimated that the largest expenditure on rehabilitation will come from Prasa-related infrastructure which will amount to R940 348 500 00,” Zikalala said.

Story continues below Advertisement

“This is a clear demonstration of the ferocious nature of these storms, and the work that remains ahead before we can restore our province back to the pre-floods period.”

Daily News

Share