Lwandile Mkhize, in front, and Mnqobi Mkhize at the back died after an abandoned house where they were playing caught fire. Thandolwethu Sithole, not the picture, also died. Picture: Supplied
Lwandile Mkhize, in front, and Mnqobi Mkhize at the back died after an abandoned house where they were playing caught fire. Thandolwethu Sithole, not the picture, also died. Picture: Supplied

Three toddlers die in abandoned rondavel fire

By Willem Phungula Time of article published Sep 23, 2021

Share this article:

Durban - THREE toddlers lost their lives when a rondavel caught alight in Highflats, south of Durban, on Tuesday.

The Makhuzeni village community is reeling from shock. Family spokesperson Zilungisele Mkhize said the kids were playing on the farm where they lived when they entered an abandoned rondavel metres away from their home.

The children’s mother Khonzeni Mkhize heard the children screaming. She rushed to the rondavel when she saw smoke coming out. Mkhize said the children had died by the time anyone could intervene and assist.

The kids were Lwandile Mkhize, 5, Mnqobi Mkhize, 3, and Thandolwethu Sithole, 4.

Mkhize said the mother was still inconsolable. Ward councillor Nicholas Mdunge said it was a tragic incident.

“We have not experienced something like this. I will try to speak to the social workers to organise counselling for the families,” said Mdunge .

He urged families to ensure that kids are always safe when they are playing. A member of the family should always be checking on them.

Police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said an inquest docket was being investigated by Highflats SAPS.

“It is alleged that on September 21, 2021, at 6pm a house with three children aged between three and five caught fire at Bethel Farm. The victims were certified dead at the scene. The circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated,” said Gwala.

Daily News

Share this article: