File picture: SAPS Twitter
File picture: SAPS Twitter

Two brothers beaten to death in Chatsworth

By Zainul Dawood Time of article published Jul 26, 2021

Share this article:

DURBAN - BAYVIEW police detectives are investigating the deaths of two brothers who were beaten to death in Chatsworth on Sunday.

Brothers Dinesh, 30, and Omesh Ramouthar, 35, were killed near the Khokhobar informal settlement in Chatsworth. Both suffered severe head injuries. They were part of a neighbourhood watch when the incident happened. The incident report of their deaths, that was shared on social media groups, sent shock waves through Durban, following violent protests and racial tensions.

Police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele said no arrests had been made and they were still in the early stages of the investigation.

“Bayview police are investigating,” said Mbele.

Silverglen Community Policing Forum (CPF) spokesperson Nerish Singh said they had a meeting with the community when they realised the messages caused tension and could spill over.

“We called for calm. We met with both residents from the informal and formal housing sectors to diffuse the situation. Details of what happened are very sketchy. It has taken us by surprise. We don't want racial tension because this was an act of criminality,” Singh said.

The family said they were mourning the deaths and did not want to comment.

In Verulam, north of Durban, police are trying to arrest those involved in the death of a taxi owner, who was shot dead on Saturday afternoon.

Two others were shot and wounded, according to Reaction Unit South Africa (Rusa). Rusa spokesperson Prem Balram said that, according to witnesses, the deceased and his wife met with a tow truck operator to obtain a quote for panel beating a taxi.

Mbele said one of the victims alleged that he was standing on the road with the taxi owner when an unidentified man walked towards them and suddenly drew a firearm. The man was wearing a mask.

“The man shot at the three of them. “He shot the deceased multiple times in the head. Another victim was shot in the left upper arm, and the third victim sustained a laceration to the waist.

“The suspect then ran up the road and jumped into a getaway vehicle, with no licence plates. The deceased is a taxi owner from Reservoir Hills and operated taxis in Tongaat and Pinetown.

“The motive for the shooting is suspected to be taxi-related,” Mbele said.

Daily News

Share this article: