DURBAN – Ethekwini Mayor, Mxolisi Kaunda says the municipality has implemented key interventions to revive the city’s tourism industry.
He said this was part of the tourism rebuilding campaign that is under way and was supported by increased security visibility at tourism hot spots. The hot spots include the beachfront, airports, the harbour, at local businesses and at shopping malls.
The city said it wanted to ensure visitors that it was safe to travel to and explore Durban. “We are doing this (campaign) in collaboration with local community partners and destination stakeholders such as community safety forums as well as urban improvement precincts,” said Kaunda.
He said Durban recorded 34 500 visitors over the past long weekend, with a direct spend of R46 million,
GDP contribution of R113m and about 31% occupancy rate. The city had projected a 50% visitor arrival at adjusted lockdown level four if there had been no civil unrest.
“The occupancy rate between July 8 and 17 was 19%, a loss of 31% in terms of occupancy rates.
Kaunda said efforts were being made to reassure visitors and the city’s partners in the business tourism sector that everything was on track and safety remained a priority.
“The Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre has major international events lined-up for November and December … The city continues to show positive results as we rebuild. We want to reassure visitors that we are ready to welcome them back to the warmest city,” he said.