Lifestyle / 13 August 2018, 7:57pm / Staff Reporter
The latest Nielsen Shopper graphics Syndicated Report shows that South African consumers are shopping less and spending less.
The Nielsen report said it's "no secret that South African consumers are experiencing a severe wallet squeeze thanks to a raft of rising costs including spiralling petrol and electricity prices, the implementation of a sugar tax and a VAT increase to 15%".
With this in mind Buzzfeed.com has 20 ideas to help save money by acquiring these products you might never have thought about:
1. An Instant Pot for the chef who doesn't actually want to do a whole lot of cooking. This will save you tons of money on ordering out, because it'll be so easy to cook right at home!
2. A three-piece set of produce saving storage containers that'll save you money by saving your food. Keep your produce in these containers for longer lasting goodness.
3. A butter saver cap to preserve your sticks in the fridge or on the counter so you don't have a buttery mess after just one use.
4. A foldable drying rack so you can gently dry your clothes to preserve their shape instead of running them through the damaging dryer.
5. A wine vacuum sealer for anyone who likes to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and doesn't want to spoil the whole bottle. Drink more, save more!
6. A pack of moldable glue to stop cords from fraying so you don't have to keep replacing your charger and headphones every month.
7. A device that'll absorb Ethylene gas so your produce will last longer in the fridge. Raise your hand if you bought veggies on Monday and had to throw them away by Thursday?! This madness ends today. Order a Bluapple One Year Combo Pack from Amazon.com for only R242.
8. A bottle cap stand for anyone who is tired of throwing away perfectly good lotions, shampoos, and condiments just because the contents are stuck on all the sides.
9. A compact knife sharpener so your cutlery can operate like new and you don't have to keep replacing perfectly good knives because you think they're old and worn!
10. A pack of four re-usable Keurig cups, because what's nicer than saving money? Saving the planet! These re-usable cups will help keep money in your pocket and plastic out of the ocean. Win-win!
11. A lavender scented Baby Foot exfoliant peel so you can save money on pedicures. If you're trying to be frugal but still want to treat yourself to a spa day, this is a great first step!
12. A compact jewellery cleaner that'll uncover the sparkle you didn't realise was still there! No need to buy a new watch or necklace; just run it through this machine and it'll look brand new. Get the Blitz Gem and Jewelry Cleaner from Amazon for R504.
13. A blade sharpener so you don't toss your razors at the first sign of dulling. It will be a better shave if it's sharp!
14. A pair of charcoal shoe deodorisers that'll extend the years of wear by keeping your shoes smelling fresh. They're also great at controlling moisture after a run when your shoes have basically turned into sweaty swamps.
15. A super sleek iPhone case for the person who is always dropping their phone or roughing it up in some way. Keep your electronics bill down by protecting your devices early on!
16. A cold brew maker to relieve your wallet from your serious iced coffee obsession.
17. A set of nonstick silicone baking mats that'll conveniently reduce the amount of money you spend on baking sheets and Reynolds Wrap.
18. A motion sensor light switch to help you save on your electricity bill. Now when you enter and exit a room, the lights respond accordingly.
19. A cast-iron skillet that'll outlast your entire collection of pots and pans — and probably you too. This is one of those kitchen staples you'll never regret buying.
20. A smoothie maker to blend all your favorite fruits and veggies up in on mornings when you're in a rush: it (conveniently!) mixes everything right in the cup you'll be taking with you!