Independent Online

Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Double-murder accused’s death in prison leaves families ‘shattered’

Double-murder accused Enver Hassim has died while being detained at Pollsmoor Prison.

Double-murder accused Enver Hassim has died while being detained at Pollsmoor Prison.

Published Nov 15, 2021


CAPE TOWN - Double-murder accused Enver Hassim has died while being detained at Pollsmoor Prison.

Hassim had been pursuing a bail application following the murders of Stephen Carrington, 81, and his son Robert Carrington, 56

Story continues below Advertisement

Hassim’s family declined to comment yesterday, while the Department of Correctional Services could not confirm the death by deadline.

A Facebook post by a relative of Hassim read: “We will never understand why and how... you know Enver’s path was a tough one... he faced many challenges but he made his way through with great dignity. This is how far he wanted to go and not any further. We know his great beauty and worth. Despite what happened we never judged but never condoned either. We loved him as always if not more. He felt deep remorse and pain over what transpired. We will truly never know why he suffered this tragedy and how his path merged with two others. But whatever it is we wish him all the peace he deserves. We know our Enver.. but it’s time to say goodbye.”

A relative of the Carrington’s, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the incident was tragic as it had left three deaths, and families “shattered”.

“It's very tragic. Here we pictured him as a monster, however his family described the incident as out of his character. We can only pray for healing now. The deaths of our Uncle Steve and Uncle Bobby was shocking and traumatic. They were good men and didn't deserve this. Our family doesn't deserve the loss and pain.

“We still don't understand the why's, we desperately need closure.

“Now I see how Enver's family hurts and I do feel bad for them. Three deaths, two families shattered.

Story continues below Advertisement

“I honestly hope and will pray daily for both families to find closure and peace. It's sad that we will never understand why this tragedy even happened in the first place. But it is what it is unfortunately. May their souls rest now,” the relative said.

Hassim, an IT manager, was arrested after he handed himself over to police following an alleged domestic altercation just after 1am at Tiverton Heights, Morton Road, Plumstead on October 3.

The State had opposed Hassim’s Schedule 5 bail application while he was expected to again appear at the Wynberg Magistrate’;s Court on November 26 for bail judgment.

Story continues below Advertisement

Cape Times

Related Topics:

Crime and courts