Staff including waitresses at the River Club’s Golf Centre’s restaurant may face an uncertain future, as management announced it will shut its doors following the approval of the controversial R4bn River Club Development. Picture: David Ritchie/ANA
Staff including waitresses at the River Club’s Golf Centre’s restaurant may face an uncertain future, as management announced it will shut its doors following the approval of the controversial R4bn River Club Development. Picture: David Ritchie/ANA

River Club staff given a week’s notice

By Francesca Villette Time of article published Apr 30, 2021

Share this article:

Cape Town - Staff including waitresses at the River Club’s Golf Centre’s restaurant may face an uncertain future, as management announced it will shut its doors following the approval of the controversial R4bn River Club Development.

The staffers were apparently only given a week’s notice about the shut, a source said.

River Club Golf management confirmed in a notice on Thursday that the Golf Centre and the Players Restaurant and Bar will be closed from Friday.

Questions as to the future of the employees and the time which they were informed of the move went unanswered by deadline on Thursday.

“We are pleased to announce that the River Club development in Observatory, Cape Town, was given the final approvals on Monday, April 19.

“Due to these ongoing advancements, The River Club Golf Centre, Players Restaurant & Bar will be closed from April 30 onwards.

“We apologize for the short notice but are pleased to announce that we have partnered with the Wynberg Golf Village to ensure our existing members have full access to a driving range,” they said.

The City last week approved Erf 151832, a 15-hectare parcel of land for development by the Liesbeek Leisure Properties Trust.

The move is being challenged by the Goringhaicona Khoena council, which is currently consulting lawyers on the matter.

The SA Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers' Union (SACCAWU) national deputy general-secretary Mduduzi Mbongwe said it was bad news for the employees affected, as staff needed at least two months' notice.

“I will be consulting with the regional leadership on the matter. It is bad news, operational requirements outline that staff need 50 days, two months notice, and need to be engaged in finding alternatives,” he said.

US retail giant Amazon is expected to be the anchor tenant at the development.

Its public relations desk yesterday said they have no comment on the matter yet, but may say something in future.

Cape Times

Share this article: