Independent Online

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Two provincial officials in hot water over alleged misconduct

Acting MEC of Community Safety, Anroux Marais, said approval was granted to formally charge two employees for serious misconduct and a disciplinary process is underway while two other employees remain suspended pending further investigation. File Picture: David Ritchie

Acting MEC of Community Safety, Anroux Marais, said approval was granted to formally charge two employees for serious misconduct and a disciplinary process is underway while two other employees remain suspended pending further investigation. File Picture: David Ritchie

Published Mar 30, 2022

Share

CAPE TOWN - Disciplinary proceedings relating to misconduct are under way against two officials in the Premier’s Employee Relations department following a finalised investigation.

The investigation included use of government vehicles, travel and accommodation expenditure and other related claims and follows as a result of former MEC Albert Fritz’s immediate dismissal earlier this month.

Story continues below Advertisement
Former MEC Albert Fritz’

Fritz was dismissed after an independent investigation showed credibility in the sexual misconduct allegations against him.

Responding to a parliamentary question, Acting MEC of Community Safety, Anroux Marais, said approval was granted to formally charge two employees for serious misconduct and a disciplinary process is underway while two other employees remain suspended pending further investigation.

ANC spokesperson on Community Safety, Mesuli Kama, had asked Marais for an update relating to the investigation against four employees who were implicated in the investigation against Fritz.

Story continues below Advertisement

“The employees were suspended in terms of paragraph 7.2 of the disciplinary code and procedure, which deals with allegations of serious misconduct. The allegations relates to sexual misconduct and other improper conduct. The team investigating the matter consist of a director, deputy director, assistant director and a labour relations officer. The Department of the Premier will endeavour to finalise the investigation and the disciplinary proceedings as soon as possible,” said Marais.

Marais had been asked to divulge a “detailed expenditure breakdown uncovered by the investigation” but did not confirm any costs.

“An internal preliminary investigation was conducted by the Department’s Internal Control Unit into the use of (government) vehicles, travel and accommodation expenditure and other related claims in relation to the allegations of misconduct. The documentation was assessed and submitted to the department in support of the investigative and disciplinary processes that they were undertaking.

Story continues below Advertisement

“The information relating to expenditure cannot be disclosed at this time as the investigation is being finalised by the Directorate: Employee Relations,” said Marais.

Kama did not respond to further enquiries by deadline.

Earlier this month premier Alan Winde said the investigation report that led to Fritz's dismissal found that there is sufficient credibility in the allegations of sexual misconduct; there is sufficient credibility in the allegations of alcohol abuse; and there is sufficient evidence of Fritz creating an environment that is conducive to sexual harassment, or alternatively, taking advantage of young women sexually.

Story continues below Advertisement

The investigation conducted by advocate Jennifer Williams further stated that: “While the individual stories differ, and this is a factor which mitigates against a conspiracy, there are common features to the versions of the identified complainants. They are also consistent with the evidence as a whole.”

Cape Times

Related Topics:

DAAlbert Fritz

Share